The Red Ferrari Jacket

If there is one thing which is really precious to me apart from all the gaming stuff and more than my Manchester United Jersey is my bright red original Michael Schumacher World Champion 2002 Ferrari Jacket.

This was a time when Ferrari demolished the opposition and although I bought this probably in the 2004 season (during another Ferrari steamroller) I am in love with it. Being a Schumi fan (and a Ferrari loyalist) it is the best sporting merchandise ever. It's been more than 7 years since I have that jacket and it's served me well. I wore it around wherever I went. It was very common to see me wearing it at INKC dog shows all around. Some of my friends even called me junior schumacher. Some teased me that the judges would give me prizes by not looking at the dog but looking at the jacket.
My first US trip, I complete immigration and move into US customs. Believe me I was scared. The cop takes my customs declaration takes one look at me and asks me -
'You a Ferrari fan?'
In a low tone I answered 'Yes'.
"Welcome home son"
is what I get in my reply. I at once felt at ease in this new unknown country. This jacket has a lot of fond memories attached to it. My dog shows the time I really enjoyed myself. The only other thing I was good at other than cooking and developing software.

2 years have almost gone by after my first trip to US and the jacket is still a big highlight. I got people from the Great Mall in the Bay area to TIBCO office asking me where I got it from and how great it was. 3 days ago the lady at the checkout counter in Safeway asked me if I was a racecar driver and I said no - I am actually saving up for my Ferrari. She gave me a smile and said best of luck! Most people cannot believe that I bought that in India for less than 30$

This jacket is my prized possession. On multiple occasions it has helped me break the ice with strangers and new people. When people say
"Oh it's just a Ferrari jacket"
, I correct them to say -
"It's a Michael Schumacher Ferrari Jacket"
. It's symbolic.

There is a deeper meaning attached to this blog post. It shows that people across the globe can share the same interests. It also shows that there are somethings that you can get in India and not get them in the US. It shows you don't need to be a race car fan to appreciate a nice jacket. It shows that something as simple as a jacket can have emotions and old memories linked to it. There were different times in my life when I wore this jacket with different friends and I remember all the good times we had together. It shows that you can be loyal to something which is not from your own culture.

Thank you Mom n Dad for gifting it to me. It will always be something close to my heart. Thank you Eipe Cherian for actually taking me to buy it - although you were a McLaren fan back then :)

It is and always will be my most prized possession! Forza Ferrari!

~ an Indian tifosi

Comments

Unknown said…
Nice post Son!! Keep writing- you do it well.
Unknown said…
I have to second Santhosh on that! Nice to meet the story-teller in you!Welcome to a world that you can create yourself!

Popular posts from this blog

How to Take a Great Photo for Your Social Media Avatar

Not all change is good...